Tuesday, June 3, 2008

If it's Houston.....it's James Coney Island


When my brother and I were growing up in Houston, one of the best memories in my life was eating at James Coney Island downtown. I remember we use to cut through our neighbor's backyard to the bus stop, catch a bus to downtown Houston and head over to James Coney Island on Walker Street. We would sit there and consume at least 3 or 4 chili dogs and a 6oz coke then skip around the corner to a movie theater. After that we'd head back for more chili dogs. I think the secret was how finely those onions were chopped. Anyway, by the time that was over we could barely make it to a bus stop much less climb on board for the 20 minute ride back home.

This coming weekend I will try to re-enact that scene I remember from days long ago. We're going to visit by brother for a couple of days there and fortunately we won't have to go downtown (there are several James Coney Island places near him now) and we won't eat as many (maybe) but no trip to Houston is a good one without at least one trip for chili dogs.

2 comments:

A&M said...

MMMMMM...Eat one for me and Autumn!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.